Saturday, February 08, 2014

God is not Omnipotent

I remember a question my little elementary school friends used to ask people as a joke.

"Can God create a rock that is so heavy he can't lift it?" hahahahahahaha!

Good one guys.

So I asked my dad this question. His immediate answer was... nope! God can't create a rock too heavy for him to lift. God cannot do everything.

WHAT?!

It's blasphemy, I know. One of the most important concepts of the gospel is summed up by a simple question:

Who is God?

Well, He is our loving Heavenly Father. He LOVES us. If God did not love his children, then he would cease to be God. Many people seem to struggle with any concept that is not directly addressed in the bible. Those people limit their knowledge. Can I not come to my own conclusions about God? Can I not use my own brain to think things through, and figure out who God is? Can I not pray and seek revelation for my life, and thus, gain an intimate, personal relationship with my Father that lives in Heaven?

I can! And you can too.

I love that I can speak with God, and I love that He can speak back to me using the scriptures, or His messenger, the Holy Ghost, or through other human beings. I LOVE THAT! Am I the only one that thinks this is absolutely amazing? I hope not.

In Doctrine and Covenants it says, "I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." D&C 82:10

So does that not limit God? It does, but not in a bad way. In what way does this limit God? This makes Him trustworthy. 

God is trustworthy. I can trust Him! I sure hope we all can trust God. But I won't complain that He has given us a bit of insurance with this guarantee. You see, when we enter into a promise/covenant/contract, we, as honest people, keep that promise. God is honest. Therefore, he keeps his promises. This limits God's power, but what if God wants it that way? I don't think God is reckless. He doesn't just go around doing whatever He wants, he is perfect, and perfect people are always honest!

So we have been told that God so loved the world that he sent His only Son. Jesus Christ. He sent his son because He loves us sooooo much. He told us he does.

God CANNOT not love us.

God is not omnipotent. He cannot stop being perfect. He will always love us.

That's a promise.

I don't care who you are. I don't care what you have done. I don't know you. But your Heavenly Father knows you. He knows you perfectly. And He loves you SO much that he sent His Son to save you, to teach you, and to change you into the person that you were destined to become.

Our Heavenly Father will never cease to love us. He can't.



2 comments:

  1. I came to visit your blog as I saw you comment on another blog. I think I was meant to find you. Could you in return visit my blog? fieldofdahlias.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, you are welcome to send me a friend request on facebook and we could talk more. search "Elder Andrew Martherus"

      Delete