Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I won't tolerate you

I don't think that anyone should tolerate anyone anymore. They don't deserve my tolerance. And they don't deserve God's tolerance either.

I remember one bright sunny day holding up a big sign that says, "Smile, God tolerates you!" Oh wait, I think that was wrong. I've never heard anyone tell me that God tolerates me. That's because our Heavenly Father LOVES us. Love is much deeper than tolerance. In fact, God loves us enough to never tolerate imperfection. 

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Tolerance is alright. It's better than intolerance, but we can do better. Love your neighbor. Not murdering people is alright. It's much better than murder, but we can do better. Love your neighbor. When Jesus Christ taught the Jews in his short ministry on Earth, he taught "the higher law."

Obeying the Law of Moses is alright. It's better than not obeying the Law of Moses, but we can do better.

Is anyone else seeing a pattern here?

Tolerance is simply a gateway to love. How appropriate that part of the "higher law," (really all the higher law) is to love Our Father in Heaven, and love our neighbor as ourselves. I truly love my friends and family. I want the best for them. If I hear/see my imperfect neighbor (everyone is our neighbor) doing something wrong, do I judge them? Certainly not. Do I tolerate their bad behavior? I don't think so. Out of my true love for my neighbor, I will ALWAYS encourage, strengthen, and help them to overcome imperfection. As a result, I and my beloved neighbor are now closer to our Savior, and we have come one step closer to being perfected in Him.

So God has revealed truth to his prophets in ancient scripture, and today. Some may not believe in that truth, but that does not make it untrue. We have been commanded to be perfect like our Father in Heaven. On my journey toward perfection I will gain a love for all mankind. And I show that love by helping my brothers and sisters and friends and enemies closer to reaching that far off goal of perfection with me.
 
Anyone who is reading this, I'm not sorry if I ask you to change. You aren't perfect, and neither am I. So when I ask you to change, know that I am changing too. I won't tolerate you anymore. I love you too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment